How does it work?
Intensive leadership training in 5-week institutes in the United States for BOLD members age 18-25 in the theme of civic engagement or economic development. If you have an idea about how to make a difference in your community click on the links below to apply!
18-25 Years old
5 weeks on a U.S. Campus
10 Participants from accross BiH
BOLD Institutes on
The BOLD Institute on Civic Engagement
The BOLD Institute on Civic Engagement will take place for 5 weeks at the University of Nebraska, Omaha, in the summer of 2020. Expert teachers and facilitators will provide instruction and hands-on leadership experience on how to develop your project ideas to improve your community in the areas of human rights, environmental conservation, education, political involvement, animal rights, or any other area that will help strengthen communities and democracy in BiH.
- Program dates: August 15 – September 19, 2020
**Due to the global CoVID pandemic, this program has been cancelled
The Study of the U.S. Institute (SUSI) on Journalism and Media
The BOLD/SUSI Institute on Journalism and Media will take place for 5 weeks at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington in the summer of 2020. Expert teachers and facilitators will provide participants with a deeper understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a free press in U.S. society. The Institute will examine the role of journalists in preventing disinformation; First Amendment rights; and technology’s impact on journalism, editorial independence, journalistic ethics, legal constraints, civic journalism, and digital and social media. The Institute will also include practical experience in the tradecraft of journalism and meetings with local news outlets. There will be additional travel to Atlanta, Georgia for a study tour.
- Program dates: Early July – Early August, 2020
BOLD Institute on
The BOLD Institute on Economic Development will provide 5 weeks of in-depth entrepreneurship training and development of hands-on leadership skills in New York State with the Network 20/20 organization. This will be an opportunity to develop your ideas for an enterprise, startup, or any other project that will help grow the economy of BiH.
- Program dates: August 31 – October 1, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
- Any BOLD member who is age 18-25. The most qualified applicants will have innovative ideas or an active project with the aim of making a difference in the civic engagement or the economic development of their community. Applicants should tell us what you are working on!
Do I need a visa to travel to the United States?
- Yes, the U.S. Embassy will assist with the visa application process, but there is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa. If, according to U.S. immigration law, you are ineligible for a visa, you will not be able to attend the program.
What if I am still 17 years old or over 25 years old?
- Applicants must be between 17-25 on the date the application is due to participate. If you are not yet old enough, use this time to develop your leadership ideas and skills! If you are older than 25 consider applying for a Professional Fellowship.
Do I have to be a member of BOLD to apply for an Academic Fellowship?
- Yes! It’s easy. Just sign up on this website.
How long are the institutes?
- They are 5-6 weeks at an institution in the United States
How much experience do I have to have to be selected for a BOLD Academic Fellowship?
- There is no standard requirement, but the BOLD program wants to support real projects that young leaders will put into action to make a difference in their communities. The most effective and innovative ideas that are the most likely to actually happen will be the most qualified.
Are you between 18-35 years old and live in Bosnia & Herzegovina?
BOLD is a project of the U.S. Embassy in BiH to provide hands-on training and experience for emerging young leaders age 18-35 across BiH.